Title

Rave and Rant about Raunch

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Review by Dottie - Unexpected Fate by Harper Sloan

Unexpected Fate
By Harper Sloan
Genres:
Contemporary Romance
****
Teasers
 ****
 ****
 ****

Synopsis

Have you ever felt like you were living your life for a future that was predetermined? Like there was some bigger picture you just prayed you would someday see clearly? That picture has been crystal clear to me since I was old enough to recognize it for just what it was. 



Or I should say recognize him for who he was. 



I’ve loved Cohen Cage since I was a small child. He’s been my everything for the last twenty-two years. I’ve loved him through every girlfriend he’s ever brought home. Through his college years and then mine. I’ve loved him through two deployments. And ever since the day I told him how I felt, he’s acted like I’m a stranger. 


My name is Danielle Reid, and it’s time for me to get my man. 

Our future is an unexpected fate, and no matter what our parents, siblings, and friends say…it’s going to be worth every second of the fight to make it happen. 


**This book is a standalone, HEA, with mature themes and sexual situations**

Dottie's Star Rating
(4.25 Stars)

Review
Have you read Harper Sloan's Corps Security series? I read each book as they were released and when I finished the last one, Locke, I was a bit devastated that the series was coming to an end. I loved those guys. There some heart-breaking moments within the series, but overall, the love the men of Corps Security had for their women (and really, each other) was pretty special. One of the things I liked best about that series was a little boy named Cohen. You never knew what was going to come out of his mouth and there were times I laughed so hard I could barely breathe. But all good things must come to an end, right? Well, not necessarily...
Unexpected Fate is a grown-up Cohen's love story! When I opened the book, the very first word in it was "Axel." I stopped, pausing just a moment and wondering was that was about - I mean the Corps Security series was over, right? But Axel was one of the main characters in that series. I picked up my phone and read the synopsis and was thrilled to see that this book was Cohen's. And Cohen is all grown-up and a badass special ops guy in the military. The original group of people who had formed their own family in the first series had kids, and this is the first book in what I hope is each of their stories. And starting with the little boy who wore a super-hero cape when he was young and couldn't stop talking about penises (believe me, it was crazy funny) was the perfect decision!
Dani is also one of the original group's kids (she's Axel's daughter). She's grown up to be a woman struggling a bit against the over-protectiveness that is her father and wants to branch out, move out, and gain a bit of independence. And on top of the huge cover of protectiveness that is her dad, she has a big brother that is just as bad and almost as protective of her...
Excerpt
Don't ever tell a man who was raised by alpha males that he isn't the keeper of his baby sister. It isn't pretty and there is usually something that gets broken in the process. This time, it was my coffee table when I pushed the big ape over for telling me that I should be locked away on an island of Barbies and Big Wheels. Yeah, I'm always going to be the baby sister...
Dani works at the salon under Sway (he's back in a big way) where they are filming a new reality show. And Dani is in love with Cohen. She's always loved Cohen. She's made her feelings clear to him and is hoping he will feel the same some day. Some day might come sooner than she thinks...
I am staring at his lush, full lips when I realize I have basically been lusting over his face since he sat down. Shit. When my eyes meet his, I expect to see humor at busting me, but all I see is the mirrored hunger I know is dancing behind my green eyes. His are heated, a deep fire blazing behind them. He isn't even attempting to hide his desire for me...
Cohen has had feelings for Dani too. But first she was too young. And then there's the element of her OTT protective dad. But her soul calls out to his and it's getting harder and harder to ignore what his heart craves. He's being deployed soon and isn't so sure it's fair to give her hope of an "us" before he goes back to the "sand-box" that is the war zone where he's "going dark" on a mission that will take him away for months. But - this is his Dani-girl; the one person in the world who he's drawn toward like a moth to a flame. And that is very hard to resist...
This book allows the reader to "catch-up" with most of the older crowd too. To see how many kids they have and how they've been. That was a treat. But this book also has the ominous crime element that seems to always find their way into these books (these guys are specialized private security people and seem to attract that in their lives). And it's kind of creepy. But it's also nice seeing the love that is meant to be blossoming and that's always a good thing!
This book, by the way, can stand-alone but I would seriously recommend you read the Corps Security series first. You would enjoy this book all the more (plus, I bet you're wondering how child-Cohen ended up talking about penises all the time, don't you? Child-Cohen will make you laugh so hard you'll probably cry too).
I gave this book 4.25 stars because 4 just didn't seem like quite enough and 4.5-5 need to really rock my world or make me cry and this one didn't do either of those. But what it did do was delight me. I'm thrilled Ms. Sloan has decided to write the younger generation's books. I actually ended my previous short review for the last book in that series by saying, "I am hopeful, however, the future might hold stories of their children; pretty please!! :)". And I couldn't be more delighted that I got my wish!
****
Purchase Unexpected Fate Here:





No comments:

Post a Comment