Title

Rave and Rant about Raunch

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Review by Dottie - Bite Me by C.C. Wood

Bite Me
Bitten Book 1
By C.C. Wood
Genres:
Paranormal, Romance
****
Teasers
****

Synopsis

I had the perfect life; an awesome job in advertising, a gorgeous high rise apartment, and a flirtation with the guy down the hall. Then it all came crashing down. Two months later I was a cocktail waitress living in a tiny one bedroom apartment. I had also developed a serious ‘men suck’ attitude. 



That all changed the night I met the beautiful and enigmatic Conner Savage. But there was just one little problem…he said he was a vampire. Figures a man that hot would be batshit crazy. Or so I thought. It didn't take me long to realize that Conner wasn't a nut job and that I was addicted to him. With every moment we spent together he drew me deeper into his world and the supernatural culture in which he lived. 


Now I had a choice: the vampire I craved or a normal life. Couldn't be easier, right?

Dottie's Star Rating
(4 Stars)



Review
I first read Bite Me for Halloween about a year and a half ago. I thought it would just be a cute little vampire story just right while waiting for the neighborhood kids to ring my doorbell while Trick or Treating. As I began to read, I remember thinking, "Wow, this is actually a pretty good book!”  It's supernatural in that there are vampires as most of the main characters. But if you weren't aware they were vampires, this would read like any other romance with a bit of a crime element...all until you get to near the end of the book and then it becomes more evident they really are of the vampire persuasion.
Donna is a cocktail waitress. Actually, she's really a marketing executive who was fired recently because her boss was embezzling money from the firm and managed to set her up for the fall. She was promptly fired and found herself working in a bar in the evenings. There, one night, she meets Conner, the most gorgeous, charismatic man she has ever met. Later that night, he literally rescues Donna from the bad guys and the way he goes about it gives her pause. And for whatever reason, he seems to be under the impression that he's a vampire. Since vampires don't exist, she thinks he must have a screw loose but she's grateful none-the-less to him for saving her.
Conner is intrigued with Donna the moment he lays eyes on her. In all his hundreds of years, he has never found someone he is so attracted to and quickly feels a bond beginning to develop between them. He finds he cannot stay away and returns to the bar (where she works) to see her again. He eventually talks her into a date; she agrees because she too feels that connection with him even though he seems to have this crazy vampire story. There, over dinner, he really talks with her. And as crazy as it sounds, it starts to sound like it might even be true...
Excerpt
He reached me and placed his hands on my shoulders. "I want you to know me, Donna. I want you to understand what I am." I stared up at him, into his beautiful blue eyes. "But why?" Conner pulled me closer to him so the front of our bodies brushed. His hands slid down my back, pressing me against him. Damn, that felt good. "Don't you feel it? We have a connection." Oh, I felt it alright, but I had a feeling Conner was being poetic rather than literal.
As they get to know each other, they find the bond between them is special and they begin to date each other exclusively very quickly. But there are elements surrounding them, politics and danger that force Conner to take actions to protect her. But although he did this in an alpha-male way, he still took her feelings and desires into account with his actions and decisions...
His willingness to put my feelings first never ceased to amaze me. "It's okay," I said. And it was. It really was. He leaned back slightly, studying my face. "You truly mean that, don't you?" I nodded. Conner touched his lips to mine. "You are an amazing woman. I could not have chosen a better place to let my heart rest than in your hands."
This would be a very good first-time vampire book for someone who hasn't ventured into the genre without being an over-the-top example that some books can become. I will warn you, this book ends in a cliffhanger. Luckily the next two books in the series plus a novella are already available for purchase so if you like this one, you won't have to wait for the next book!
This book is romantic. It's a bit frightening. It's intriguing. It's fun. Donna has a group of friends who are very entertaining. She's just a normal woman who finds herself in an extraordinary situation, making her very easy to relate to. And Conner, he's truly like a prince riding up on a white charger to rescue the fair maiden Donner and remains prince-like throughout the story. He's a vampire, yes. But he's really a good guy. I enjoyed this book very much as well as the second in the series. I haven't read the third book yet, but will before too long (there's a few new releases that are currently calling my name). The thing I didn't like about this book was that it ended; I was very pleasantly surprised that it was such a fun book and it's very easy to recommend!
****
Purchase Bite Me Here:


No comments:

Post a Comment