Title

Rave and Rant about Raunch

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Review by Dottie: Three, Two, One by J.A. Huss

Three, Two, One (321) 

A Dark Suspense

by J.A. Huss
Genres:
Contemporary Romance, Mystery & Suspense 
****
Teasers
 ****

Synopsis
ONE GIRL
Battered, barefoot, and huddled under a bookstore awning in the pouring rain, Blue only knows one thing. After fifteen months of captivity, finally... she is free.

TWO FRIENDS
Self-made millionaires JD and Ark are not out to save anyone when they stumble upon a wet and shivering girl one early Sunday morning. But when you sell sex for a living and salvation rings your bell... you answer the call.

THREE SOULMATES

After years of searching, love lifts the veil of darkness, and three people--with three very big secrets--find themselves bound together in a relationship that defies the odds.

Or does it?

Love. Lust. Sex.

This trinity might be perfection... but not everything should come in 3's.
WARNING: This is a STANDALONE non-traditional M/F/M ROMANCE with a non-traditional ending.

Star Rating
(4.25 Stars)

Review
As I sit here and stare at this screen knowing I need to write this review, I find myself pensive. This is a book that is a bit of a mind-fuck (if you'll pardon the expression). I'm at a bit of a loss about what to say about it. Especially in that this is one of those books with twists and turns and an ending that is unpredictable but kind of satisfying in an odd sort of way. With all books that have plot-twists, if you say too much, you ruin the book for others and nobody wants that.
As you can see from the synopsis, this book is about a ménage of three people; Blue, as well as best-friends Ark and JD. It is also a bit of what feels like a crime mystery, although I think this is only due to the setting of the story. This book is definitely a dark romance with twists. I am not a fan of really dark, negative story lines where you crumple into a ball of goo and sob as you are reading (although some people are and that's okay too, it's just not my thing). This book did not evoke that type of response from me, but what it did do is keep me up late reading because I couldn't put it down. I finished it late and thought about it when I was going to sleep. I thought about it first thing this morning when I woke up.  Like I said, mind-fuck!
Blue (the woman JD and Ark found wet and shivering in the rain) was an interesting character. When the boys found her and decided to take her home to get her warmed up, I was completely unsure of what was going on with her (this was explained later). It was clear from the very beginning there was an attraction between Blue and JD, but there was also an attraction between Blue and Ark.  For the first time ever, JD and Ark didn't agree on who got the girl...they had a standing rule - whomever saw a girl first got her. But somehow, with Blue, the attraction was so fierce neither of them was willing to step aside; nor did she want them too. She found herself wanting them both...
Her body, though...I will share her body.  With JD here in the loft.  Why would I do that?  If I want her, why would I share her?  I can't say no to JD.  It's not possible to deny him this.  Not now.  Not after he saw her scar.  Not now that he has this desire to go looking again.  He needs to stay home.  He needs to forget.  He needs to let this girl take the place of the one he has lost.  Because if he doesn't...if he slips up...and starts down that path again...
So these three people, all damaged in some way from their pasts find one another in a way that soothes their spirits. They work toward finding a way that will work for all of them...
..."What's so complicated about this?  Two best friends who can always find mutual ground.  One pretty girl who wants us both.  It's the trifecta, Ark.  We just went to the races, made a one-dollar bet, and came home ten thousand dollars richer.  We won the fucking lottery, man.  Why would you ever turn this down?"  "Because, JD.  Not everything should come in threes..."
Whereas Blue and JD easily decided to follow their hearts into this relationship, Ark found it harder to relax and decide that this threesome is what he actually wants. The idea of sharing the woman he love comes hard to him and if it was anybody but JD, it was clear there's no way it would ever happen. But JD is his best friend, his business partner, and his brother within his heart. He loves him.  He decides to make it work...
...her eyes flutter for a few seconds.  When she finally opens them, the desire in there seals the deal.  I want them both.  They both want me.  We want each other.  Her hand comes up, her palm sliding along the rough stubble of my cheek.  And then JD's hand is on top of hers and we lie there, enjoying the moments.  Enjoying the beginning of something new.  Not sex.  Not lust.  Love.  It's the official beginning of our shared love.  And then we pass the start line.

J. A. Huss can also write a scorching sex seen or two (or more) and her talents are well displayed within this book. It's sexy. It's intriguing.  It's outside of the box.  The way it is written, it is easy to understand how three people came together in an unconventional way. This story is told from varying points of view; we hear from both Blue, as well as Ark.  And the end; it kind of snapped my head. I was left reeling a bit and didn't see the end coming the way it did. This is one book that sorely tempted me to peak at the end multiple times (which I highly recommend you don't do). I will tell you this...the ending, albeit unconventional and in some ways not what you see coming is not so scary as to be afraid of this book. I've seen several people on-line express fear about it...don't be afraid - read it! It's really good!!!
Preorder Three, Two, One Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment