Title

Rave and Rant about Raunch

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Review by Dottie: Better When He's Bad by Jay Crownover

Better When He's Bad
A Welcome to the Point Novel
By Jay Crownover
Genres:
Romance, Mystery & Suspense 
****
Teasers
 ****
 ****

Synopsis
Welcome to the Point . . .

There's a difference between a bad boy and a boy who's bad. . . . Meet Shane Baxter.
Sexy, dark, and dangerous, Bax isn't just from the wrong side of the tracks, he is the wrong side of the tracks. A criminal, a thug, and a brawler, he was the master of bad choices, until one such choice landed him in prison for five years. Now Bax is out and looking for answers, and he doesn't care what he has to do or who he has to hurt to get them. But there's a new player in the game, and she's much too innocent, much too soft   

. . . and standing directly in his way.

Dovie Pryce knows all about living a hard life and the tough choices that come with it. She's always tried to be good, tried to help others, and tried not to let the darkness pull her down. But the streets are fighting back, things have gone from bad to worse, and the only person who can help her is the scariest, sexiest, most complicated ex-con the Point has ever produced.

Bax terrifies her, awakening feelings she never thought she'd have for a guy like him. But it doesn't take Dovie long to realize . . . some boys are just better when they're bad.

Dottie's Star Rating
(4.5 Stars)

Review
 Better When He's Bad is the first book in Jay Crownover's Welcome to the Point series and it's very good so far...it's edgy and dark with a fair amount of criminal activity and some violence in it. It also has family, loyalty, a community supporting their own, and love. It is told in altering points of view - both Bax and Dovie's sides of the tale.

Bax is a thug. He just got out of jail, a jail where he has spent the past five years of his life. He was set up (not that he's really Mr. Innocent) by Race, his best friend. He gets out and comes back to the Point. The Point is the rough side of town and where Bax grew up. He wants to know why Race set him up and take his life back. But Race has gone into hiding and in looking for him; he stumbles across Dovie, Race's little half-sister. He didn't know Race had a little sister (Race hadn't known about her before Bax went "in" either). Not much surprises Bax but this one caught him off guard.
Dovie is a spitfire redhead who was also raised in the bad part of town. She's tough, she's street-wise, she's smart, she's intensely loyal to her brother, and yet; there's an air of innocence still about her. Bax finds himself intrigued by a woman for the first time in his life.
Usually, women are just there for a quick tumble for Bax. He feels good.  He makes them feel good. He leaves. Done. He knows his life in not conductive to having a woman. He's surrounded by a bunch of bad guys and has two things on his mind...finding out why Race set him up and getting revenge from Novak, the crime lord of the neighborhood who played a big part in his incarceration as well.  As he moves about town looking for Race, Dovie glues herself to his side (whether he likes it or not) because she knows Bax will eventually lead her to her brother. This throws Bax and Dovie together, a lot, much to Bax's displeasure.  This is not because he doesn't like Dovie - it's because he likes her too much.  To make matters worse, Bax is forced to claim her as his to keep her safe in the eyes of the unsavory characters in the Point. He kisses her to make his point, but neither can ignore the after-affects of that kiss...
Excerpt:
I tried to make smart choices, choices that would eventually lead me out of places like the Point.  That meant most boys who came from the streets were boys I didn't waste my time on.  Not to mention I dressed like a boy most of the time and didn't bother to doll up.  It wasn't like they were pounding down the front door to get after me...but that kiss with Bax was different.  When he had kissed me for show, I knew it was an act, a way to stake his claim and get the guy in the suit to back off.  His nearly midnight gaze never wavered and it was like pressing my mouth against the unrelenting surface of a statue.  Sure, he tasted like enticement and all the things dark and dangerous that oozed out of him, but it was all a game to him and I could feel it.  I wished that had been enough to stop my skin from tingling and my lips from desperately wanting to spring open and pull him in.  Being kissed by a guy like Bax for whatever reason was enough to mess with my already spinning head, and I didn't like it, so when Benny had pushed, I needed to take control back.  Only it backfired, and kissing Bax for real was like getting sucked into a vortex of desire and not being able to tell up from down.  The guy had skills.  He had a touch.  It was no wonder tramps across town were bummed about his recent incarceration.  Everything about him screamed that he knew his way around a good time and anyone would be a fool to pass up the opportunity to have one with him.
And Bax is not immune to the draw that is Dovie. This is a woman who sees him, who knows who he is, and likes him anyway. He never thought a good woman would be interested in him. He feels like he cannot keep his hands off of her much longer even though a big part of him feels the need to warn her off for her own good. He knows he is not good for her but he knows he wants her anyway, even if it's just for a little while. And the problem is, she is feeling that same irresistible pull...
I wasn't the most sexually experienced girl in the world, but I knew enough to know that I was restless and achy, feeling heated and light-headed and he hadn't even so much as kissed me.  He was way more than I was ready to handle, and then he was sliding the button on my jeans out of the hole and my belly was sucking in.  "You have to stop" Only the zipper followed down and my black cotton underwear that was in no way intended to be on display was suddenly just that.  His eyes were like obsidian, his mouth was tight, and I wasn't sure if the light sheen of sweat building up on his shaved head was from battling back discomfort or from arousal.  I could feel the press of an impressive erection through the denim that separated us, but he was moving slow and he had said he had no intention of having sex.  He was a liar, though, so I shifted and have a move to cover myself back up.  He used the hand that wasn't holding his entire weight off of me to snatch my own as I pulled at my bra and the sides of my shirt.  I tugged futilely to get him to let me go, but he forced my palm flat on my quivering stomach and trapped it between my skin and his palm.  He smiled down at me, and it wasn't nice.  It was wicked and promised all kinds of dark and scary things.  It made my breath catch in my throat and I was momentarily stunned enough that it didn't register that he was dragging my much smaller hand across my belly, below the hollow of my hips, and into the waistband of my underwear.  I panicked a little - okay, a lot - when I realized his intent.  I could feel that even though my head knew I shouldn't be here with him, my body was all for it.  I was slick across my own fingers, damp, warm, and pulsing.  I saw something in his eyes flare.  I struggled to pull away again and it just ended with a broken moan coming out of my throat as he actively forced both our hands farther into my pants and closer to the parts of me that were well aware of what a guy like Bax could offer.  "Tell me to stop."  His voice was low and lost somewhere in the haze of sexual intoxication he was spilling all over me.  "Stop..."  It should have been harsh, sounding sure and defiant, but it wasn't  It was raspy and breathy because he got my hand where he obviously wanted it and was making me stroke my clit while his thick digit went on a tour to find my G-spot.  "Mean it."  He rumbled the words against the side of my face, where I felt the soft brush of his damaged mouth.  I had never experienced anything like this before.  I couldn't escape the drag and pull of it.  I arched my back and moved my hand in tandem to his ministrations, never looking away from the velvet drape of his gaze...
I think most of us have understood the appeal of a bad boy at least once in our life. They're sexy. They're forbidden. They're a bit dangerous.  They get our blood pumping just a little harder and a little faster. And when a bad boy has a soft underside...one where the right woman can attach herself to him and make both his life and her life better too; it's kind of irresistible. And this bad boy is loyal to his best friend. He went to prison for five years, knowing his best friend set him up and loving him anyway. The kind of guy it's not too hard to fantasize about from time to time. Bax is a huge part of the appeal of this book. He's a guy born into a certain circumstance and yet...he's just yummy in a dangerous type of way.
If you've never read any of Jay Crownover's books, I recommend you rectify that pronto. Her guys are all a bit bad, a bit sweet, and all kinds of delicious. I really love her Marked Man series too, but this series is a bit of a walk on the darker side of society.  I enjoyed my walk on the dangerous side and I suspect you will too.  I'm looking forward to more!

Purchase Better When He's Bad Here:


No comments:

Post a Comment