Title

Rave and Rant about Raunch

Friday, January 30, 2015

Review by Dottie: Wild Man by Kristen Ashley

Wild Man
The Dream Man Series book 2
By Kristen Ashley
Genres:
Erotica, Mystery, Suspense, 
Romance, Action & Adventure
****

Teasers
****

Synopsis
She's about to walk on the wild side . . . 
While filling the display case in her bakery, the bell over the door sounds and Tessa O'Hara looks up to see the man of her dreams. Within thirty seconds he asks her out for a beer. But after four months of dating, she discovers he's an undercover DEA agent-and he's investigating her possible role in her ex-husband's drug business. For Tess, this means their relationship is over. Brock disagrees. He's committed to his anti-drug mission, but he's fallen in love with the beautiful woman who's as sweet as her cupcakes-and he'll do anything to win her back. Standing between Tess and Brock are their own exes, one of them a drug lord who's determined to get what he wants. Now as danger threatens, can Brock break the rules he's lived by and let loose his wild side to protect the woman he loves?

Star Rating


Review
Okay, so...Wild Man. This is the second of the four Dream Man books. This is Brock's book. We met Brock briefly in Mystery Man where he was an undercover cop and "guarded" Gwen when she was kidnapped. Kristen Ashley has a tendency to take what seems like a minor character in another book and expand the character in their own books and this is an example of that. This book can absolutely be read as a stand-alone book but I strongly recommend reading the series as a whole and in order; it's just more enjoyable that way. Her books are very reasonably priced (this book is currently $3.99) so it makes reading them all easier.
The heroine of this book is Tess. Tess is a bit of an older character (in her early 40's) and she is kind and smart and plays no games. She is at a point in her life where she knows what's important for her and pursues those things in her life and ignores the bad, unhealthy crap. She has followed her dream and opened Tess's Cakes bakery and bakes cakes and cupcakes known for their mountainous swirls of delicately colored frosting with sprinkles of candy confetti or pixie dust. And Tess, she's just as sweet as her baked goods. Unfortunately, some of that bad, unhealthy crap she's eliminated from her life hasn't eliminated her.
Brock is also a bit older. He's been an undercover cop with the DEA for the past several years and is ready to make some changes in his life. He wants to get out from the nasty underbelly of crime in Denver he has been immersed in while investigating his cases. While undercover, he met Tess. She thought he was Jake. He was Brock. This revelation did not go over well with Tess but yet Brock couldn't forget about her. She had wormed her way into his heart and there she remained. Once he's clear of the case he was investigating, he comes back to Tess and demands she let him back into her heart and her life. He's ruthless; he knows this is "his woman" and will not take no as an answer. 
...when I reached for the covers to shove them off, my body moved backwards across the bed and hit something very, very solid and very, very warm. Oh man.  How could I forget? Brock was there. And boy was he there, his hard, heated body behind me, his strong arm around me, I felt his lips at the skin of my neck.  "Honey," I whispered, those lips trailed up then I felt teeth nip my earlobe. A shiver slid through me. Then a rough, sleepy, deep, "Mornin', baby."  Oh my. His lips slip to behind my ear as his hand at my belly slip up my ribs and I held my breath until his hand stopped. I let out my breath then held it again when the backs of his knuckles started stroking feather light at the bottom swell of my breast. Oh my. I pressed back into him as he pushed into me and his tongue touched the skin behind my ear at the same time his thumb disengaged and swiped my breast just under my nipple. At that, a throb pulsed through me.  "Brock," I breathed. "Unless you got an early mornin' emergency cake to bake, sweetness," he growled in my ear, "our earlier activities are scheduled to commence right about now."  "The White House tends to give me plenty of advance warning," I quipped breathily. "Fuckin' fantastic," Brock muttered, rolled me to face him, his hand went in my hair, twisted gently and tugged back but he didn't have to do that. My arm was winding around him and my head was dipping back so he could have my mouth. He took it....
Brock is a bit of a hothead, speaks his own mind, has a bit of a short fuse when riled, and yet is kind and tender when dealing with the people he loves. Once Tess gets beyond the whole Jake vs. Brock situation, they begin to build a relationship to last. Tess realizes she has truly met her other half...
I found my mouth whispering "You like me." His head jerked and he asked, "What?"  I didn't repeat myself. Instead I said, "I don't want you to change who you are for me."  "Tess -" he started but I shook my head, sat straighter and interrupted him. "I can layer up so I don't get cold in your truck and I can deal when you get so pissed you throw a beer bottle. I don't want you to change for me."  His head dropped and he looked at his boots but not before I saw his eyes close slowly. "You know," I told the top of his head, it came up and he looked at me, "you walked into my kitchen a month ago and I didn't want to have one thing to do with you...I knew somewhere I've never known with another man that you would never let anything harm me. And wherever that somewhere is, it's deep and it's real and after nearly a decade of not feeling safe, not for a day, in that moment in my kitchen I finally did. So now," I gestured to the couch, "here I am.  So if you throw a beer bottle or two or shout the house down, I'll deal."  His eyes held mine for long moments then his long legs brought him to me in less than a second. Then I was plucked out of the sofa...Brock "Slim" Lucas...was kissing me harder than he ever kissed me, sweeter than he ever kissed me but unfortunately not longer.
Brock is completely gone, like over the top gone for Tess. It's really refreshing to read a character who is male who is completely okay with falling head over heels for a woman and not be afraid to let her know how he feels:
He crossed his arms on his chest and stated, "Babe, you think I found the woman of my dreams at forty-five years old and I'm gonna let anything happen to her, think again. That's a long fuckin' time to wait for what you want.  I waited.  I found it.  I'm pullin' out all the stops to take care of it.  I know you feel the same for me so I'm doin' the same to keep me safe for you...
I think Kristen Ashley's alpha males are one of the biggest draws toward her books.  They are strong, they are smart, they are over the top sexy, they might have been dawgs before meeting their "woman" but once they do, it's all over for them.  They become a one-woman man (or at least once they figure it out as we will see later in the series).  And again, Kristen Ashley women (the ones that matter in a story at least) always kick ass. Always. And the stories feel real. Like these women lament they have to clean two houses (their guys and their own) and this feels pretty real. When there are children involved in her stories, they are interesting people and not whiny sub-humans. These women have money problems, they have guy problems, they have car problems, they have career problems, etc. (although thankfully only a couple of these show up per book; these women are not living lives of scullery maids either. They just feel real and are easy to relate to).

I love this series. The first (Mystery Man and the forth and last, Motorcycle Man) are my two favorites in this series (and don't even get me started on the Chaos series which is a off-shoot of this one - I adore that series too)! That is not to say the middle two books including Wild Man are not worth reading, they absolutely are!  I gave my two favorites 5 stars and the two middle books 4.5 stars...still amazing books!  I just happen to really ADORE the other two and they are on my top favorites list. Should you decide to read them, I hope you enjoy them all.  Including this one - Wild Man!!

Purchase Wild Man Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment